Translation Helper Tool is a line-by-line sentence parser designed to help JP Machine Translators and Machine-Assisted Translators speed up their translation, the reason is that most of the time is spent on highlighting and copying sentences for Translation Aggregator to automatically generate the machine translation or pasting it on some other online dictionary/translation site.
The program was based on the Translation app developed by Verse of VerseTranslation. Their app was developed using Auto-Hotkey scripting language. I decided to make my own version because there was some features that I wanted to implement and I didn’t knew how to script using Auto-Hotkey to modify their source. So I developed my own version using a programming language I knew, Visual Basic.
- Break up paragraphs into separate sentences.
- Each raw sentences is automatically copied to the clipboard.
- Improve machine translations by swapping terms saved in the glossary before copying it to clipboard.
- Multiple glossary profiles can be made for different projects you are working on.
- Maintain paragraph structure on the top and bottom review boxes.
- Calculate actual progress by computing only lines that have translation entry (Can be hidden).
- Calculate total translated words.
- Unobtrusive spell checker (will only underline, in red, the words that are spelled incorrectly. With option to add to custom dictionaries)
- Shortcuts to insert special punctuation (Single Quote「 」, Double Quote『 』, Lenticular【】,Ellipsis …, Wave Dash 〜, Single Title Bracket 〈 〉, Double Title Bracket, 《 》, and Long Dash ー)
- Auto-save every time you press Enter
- Quick navigation. Double Click on a raw sentence on either the Top or Bottom review boxes and it will jump to that line
- Always on Top option
- Text to Speech function using Microsoft Speech Server Platform 11 with support for JP (Haruka) and CN (Hui Hui) texts.
PLANNED FUTURE FEATURES:
- Built-in Mecab/JParser and online translation results (So i could get rid of Translation Aggregator entirely)
- Windows 7 and above. If using Windows XP, your system must have .NET Framework 4.5 installed
- To enable Text-to-Speech support, must download and install Microsoft Speech Platform Runtime (x86 version), and download/install either or both MSSpeech_TTS_ja-JP_Haruka and MSSpeech_TTS_zh-CN_HuiHui language packs for your desired TTS
- Download the EXE file and place it on your preferred folder.
- 1st run of the program, it will create a profile folder and the default profile file.
- Quick Start Guide is shown when starting the program.
Start Up Screen:
Creating New File:
Translating (with Translation Aggregator in Action):
Glossary Swap and Profile:
Spell Checker and Add to Dictionary
If you found any bugs just leave a comment, I will hear feature suggestion and see if I can implement it without breaking the app, so you can also leave suggestions on the comments.
I would like to thank Verse for creating the Translation Assistant.ahk which really saved me time in my translation work. I would also like to thank AmnesicCat, Daily, Aomori and Yabaibunni for testing the beta version of the program.
v3.0 – 12/6/15
– Added Text-to-Speech support for Japanese and Chinese text
– Added an Always on Top option
v2.4.1 – 11/14/15
– Few more bugfixes
– Added autosave function (everytime “Enter” is pressed)
– Added function to hide progress (special request from AmnesicCat so she doesn’t hyperventilate from the amount of lines needed translated)
– Added more punctuations (Single and Double Title Bracket, Long Dash)
– Added function to jump lines by double clicking on a raw sentence on either top or bottom review boxes
v2.3 – 10/10/15
- Mutiple save in a single session appends mutiple copies of translation text that inflate file size
- Add Phrase OK button was disabled all the time
- Changing profile wont load that profile’s dictionary (need restart of app to load dictionary)
- New parse characters doesn’t update immediately after profile save (need restart of app to load dictionary)
v2.2 – 10/9/15
-bug fix on app crash during opening file caused by an empty default profile
v2.1 – 10/8/15
-bug fix for those experiencing app crash during opening or creating new file in Windows 10
v2.0 – 10/7/15
– Added Spell Check Function
– Added Special Punctuation Insert Function
– Fixed several minor bug
v1.0 – 9/25/15
– Initial Public Release